Cucumbers are one of the staple ingredients in the recently published recipe “Blackened Shrimp Over Chilled Cucumber.” The crisp crunch that the cucumber gives off is nothing short of satisfying, and they are really good for you too! Ditch the white French bread, and opt for this refreshing snack instead. There are some fun facts about cucumbers that might make your heart grow fonder of them, so take a look below and get ready to learn!
So where did Cucumbers originate from anyway? They started back in India over 3,000 years ago and they are full of healthy fibers to make you feel more full for longer without all of the calories and fat.
Did you know that cucumbers actually have the ability to cool the blood in your body? Crazy right. They also lessen facial swelling, and that is why they are frequently used at health spas all around the world, and placed over the eyes during a facial. They are notorious for creating a new glowing look for your skin to reap the benefits from!
In the oral hygiene department they are also used to cure bad breath, due to the different phytochemicals present in their genetic makeup. If you are at a restaurant, and don’t have access to gum or a mint simply ask the server to bring you a few slices of cucumber and place them one at a time on the roof of your mouth. The phytochemicals will work to break down the bad bacteria in your mouth! (1).
If you are sick of trying to drink your water allotment each day, switch it up and munch on a few cucumbers. They contain extremely purified water and they are made up of 95% water. What is the other 5% made up of? Vitamins and minerals galore such as Vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, Vitamin C, Folic Acid, Zinc, Magnesium and many more! (1).
Cucumbers also have the ability to give you an energy boost in the afternoon due to its high B vitamin content. No more energy drinks, caffeine, and sugar. Instead grab a refreshing cucumber with some hummus dip for a boost in energy overall.
Finally, another quirky fact about cucumber slices are that they can keep your bathroom mirror fog free when you are showering! Simply rub a cucumber slice around your mirror for a crystal clear finish when you are done showering. It gives your bathroom the ultimate spa feel.
I touched on the vitamins and minerals present in cucumbers, but didn’t mention that they are low in calories and saturated fats. (2) For ½ cup of cucumbers you are only getting 8 calories! Anything you pair with these simple snacks are going to keep you lower on the caloric scale just due to their nature. They are extremely high in Pantothenic acid or B-5 vitamins, which are best known to cleanse your skin from the inside out and treat acne.
These small but mighty snacks are also known for protecting your brain with the anti-inflammatory flavanol called fisetin. (3). On top of protecting your brain, they have the power to deter some cancers from forming in the body because they contain polyphenols that help reduce your risk of disease. The list can go on and on with the benefits but another lasting benefit is the help in digestion due to the high fiber counts in each slice. Whether you physically eat a cucumber, or decide to drink its purified water the benefits will rein the same.
Next time you are in the market for a snack with a cucumber, don’t forget all of its amazing benefits and nutritional enhancements. From helping your skin, to fighting even the worst diseases, this light and fresh snack is the way to go! Sip, crunch, or snack your way to better health with cucumbers.